What is a gobo?? or what is a DigiGobo???.
This word is common in theatre, film, and television.It is most often used by lighting technicians to refer to a metal plate with a pattern of holes in it, which is placed in the gate of a spotlight to produce an image or outline on the set. More sophisticated gobos rotate to create moving patterns; some are of glass with complex coloured patterns on them.

The word can also be used for a fabric or wood shape placed in front of a light to cast a shadow (in some circles in the US this is called a cookie or a flag instead). But it can also have other senses that relate to some sort of mask: perhaps a shield used to shelter a microphone from extraneous noise or to acoustically separate groups of instruments in an orchestra, or a screen used to shield a lens from light.

It has nothing to do with the Japanese vegetable of the same name—its origin is somewhat obscure, but it’s most probably just a condensed version of go between.

Another name for certain types is cucoloris. This is the usual name for a large perforated gobo placed in front of a lamp to project a diffused shadow pattern. It would seem to be the origin of the abbreviated form cookie that I mentioned above (if so, the latter would have no biscuit links). But where does cucoloris come from? My sources are totally silent on the matter—no dictionary I’ve consulted has even heard of the word, not even the big Oxford English Dictionary. Could it be from Latin cucullus for a hood or cowl?

DigiGobos are designed to work with the a variety of digital media servers, such as the High End Catalyst¨ and RADlite systems. They are also compatible with any video projection system.They are videoclips (often looped) in various formats (often QuickTime,AVI or Mpeg files) and are stored in harddrives for computers and give a more moving or animated pattern to the lightbeam (or used in LED walls)